Some may wonder why we put so much emphasis on drinking water while following the Cambridge Weight Plan.
There are several reasons. Obviously, water is essential for hydration and for many of the processes that keep our metabolism ticking over. Its importance is reflected in the fact that our bodies are composed of approximately 60% water.
Beyond these basics, there are several reasons why we should drink more water whilst on Plan. Firstly, much of our water intake comes from food, so when we switch onto the Cambridge Weight Plan, most of that water from food is no longer coming in. Also, with rapid fat loss, an accelerated release of toxins from fat stores occurs and the liver and the kidneys have to step up their game to eliminate these safely from the body. Better hydration ensures that this process doesn’t get held up!
This is why your Consultant would have recommend drinking at least 2.25 litres of water per day, helping to maintain blood volume and to prevent dehydration.
Your body also uses water to help with other processes, including:
- Transporting nutrients and oxygen around your body
- Getting rid of waste products
- Controlling your temperature
- The function of your digestive system
- Helps with satiety
Here are some tips to help ensure you take enough water on board:
- Wake up first thing in the morning and drink a glass or two of water – most people are least hydrated in the morning!
- Carry a water bottle around with you all day! Don’t leave your house without it and simply refill every time it’s empty
- Drink 500mL of water 30 minutes before meals – specific scientific studies have shown that this supports weight loss
- Drink water when you think you’re hungry. If you feel a hunger pang between meals, pour yourself a tall glass of fresh drinking water first to see if you’re dehydrated. Sometimes people think they’re hungry when really, they’re just thirsty
- Drinking water before a snack or with one will help you feel full faster, helping keep calorie intake in check
- Drink water before, during and after a workout. Drinking water during a workout can help your endurance and energy levels, giving you enough to see your exercise through to the end. Plus it will replace any water you lost through perspiration or water vapour lost from breathing.
Not a fan of plain old water? Why not make it fun with our tasty water flavourings? Choose from Watermelon, Pineapple, Lemon and Lime, or Raspberry and Elderflower.