Get on board with the courgetti trend! Courgetti or ‘zoodles’ has been taking the food world by storm, offering a tasty but low carb alternative to traditional pasta or noodle dishes. So when you’re craving something carby and rich try this recipe out to hit the spot without spoiling your diet.
For the best results, you will need a spiraliser, julienne peeler or mandolin slicer to make this dish. You can use a potato peeler to peel long thin lengths from the courgettes but you will end up with much thicker ribbons.
Serves: 2 Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Calories: 200kcals Steps: 2
Ingredients 2 large courgettes, trimmed Spray oil 2 x 100g chicken breast fillets 1 small onion, finely chopped 2 garlic cloves, crushed A pinch of dried crushed chillies Juice of 2 lemons 100ml Cambridge Weight Plan Golden Vegetable Drink or chicken stock 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered 1 small bunch of parsley, finely chopped Salt and freshly ground black pepper Lemon wedges, to garnish
Directions 1. Spiralise the courgettes lengthways using blade C if you have a spiraliser. Alternatively, use a julienne peeler or a mandolin slicer. Set aside.
2. Lightly spray a griddle pan with oil and place over a medium heat. Add the chicken breasts to the hot pan and cook for about 15 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown and thoroughly cooked all the way through.
3. Meanwhile, lightly spray a deep frying pan with oil and cook the onion and garlic over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 6–8 minutes until softened but not browned.
4. Add the chilli flakes, lemon juice and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and stir in the tomatoes and half the parsley. Simmer gently for 5–10 minutes until the sauce reduces.
5. Cut the chicken into thin slices and add to the pan with the courgettes and remaining parsley and cook for 1–2 minutes until the courgettes are just tender but still retain their shape.
6. Season to taste and serve immediately, garnished with lemon wedges.
Variations You can also make this delicious dish with raw shelled tiger prawns. Substitute 250g prawns for the chicken. Add them to the pan when the sauce has simmered and reduced just before adding the courgettes. They will be ready in 2 minutes when they turn pink. For a veggie version, why not make this with Quorn fillets? You will need 200g Quorn fillets. Cook as above and slice them before adding to the courgettes. The calories will stay the same.